Saturday, November 01, 2008

Halloween Fun

I had the kids to myself for Halloween. As we were all on holiday we were able to prepare. Firstly there was the pumpkin carving, orchestrated by Big Miss...

Then there was the costume making. Big Miss is a Superhero (not sure what that's got to do with Halloween, but never mind), Little Miss a bat and Little W a ghost. Oh, and as for me... to be revealed below!

So here are the pumpkins lit up outside the front door...

...to attract the unsuspecting trick-or-treaters to my lair. Little did they suspect what would greet them...

My preparations involved baking some wicked looking black bread...

It's just an ordinary white loaf recipe, but with a slug of black food-colouring added to the water before putting it into the bread maker. With that I was able to make my "Bat sandwiches" (and feed the kids bacon sandwiches for their tea).

There were also some salami and ham (when we ran out of bacon) and with passata to make the "Blood sandwiches". Having done our own brief trick-or-treating, we returned home, lit some more candles, turned out the lights and waited for our victims....

I had a little speech, with a funny accent…

“Gut Efening. My name is Count von Dracula. Velcome to my castle. Ve haff a special treat for our honoured guests tonight. Bat Sandviches. Or if you prefer ve haff blood sandviches.”

I would then beckon my bat or ghost assistant to offer the plate....

You should have seen the look on the faces of some of the younger ones! But as the evening wore on and we got older ones, some of whom were more brave and had a taste and in the end we ran out. (Of course we also had pots of sweets for those who didn’t like the look of the dark grey bread sandviches).

What fun!

No comments: